P 28
return to Park index

This just in!!

Nov 28 2003 -  It is time to get going again.
Elections - Liberals win  -  you knew that?? new Minister MNR  is   ...  . Hodgson is toast.  Laurie Scott elected for VHB riding she won by 4000 votes.  Local elections -  both councils  now sympathetic to cottager concerns re park. In NK twp  Jim Whelan is reeve Tanner and Griffiths are gone. P Battye and P Chowan elected to Board of Directors FOCA. There still is no park. There is still 'no money'.

The folloing email string is interesting

Following is a letter form Doud Reid that gives a prime example - there are many - of the problems we have had with MNR's unwillingness over the past 10 years to deal with the problems. With ownership comes responsibility. We have been after the MNR to post effective signs and enforce it, for years.  We are still waiting for MNR to protect the environment and property owners from the unregulated overuse and abuse. This is a prime reason why the Charter should be implemented.
Peter Battye
FOCA Director


From: Doug Reid [mailto:dreid@bcsaw.com]
Sept 2003

Subject: Road Use


Perhaps some of the problems I have had with unwanted visitors at my cottage recently will be of interest to you and other property owners.

I own the 2nd last cottage on the West Anstruther Lake Rd running off the Gold Lake Road. On a daily basis we are getting people coming in our driveway wanting to use our place as an entrance to the lake (park). Basically they come in 3 types ? some ask outright to use my shore and park in my driveway ? some jump in their car and take off as soon as they see me and some just park boldly, unload their canoes etc. and proceed to try to get on to the lake. Unfortunately I am not always there and can only stop those I see. Last week for example my neighbour came up and saw 2 cars left and blocking my driveway for 3 days while they went camping.

The individual incidents are too numerous to detail, but the point is this has been happening  when I am there, since last year, on average at
least once a day. I am angry about the lack of respect for private property but more concerned for the security of my cottage. Obviously I have had numerous conversations with people coming in and my first approach is a friendly reminder that this is private land.

Some understand, sympathize and leave,  but there is an amazing number that believe that it is a park now and either I have no private property rights any longer (ie.: the government now owns all the land ? I just own the buildings) or that even though it is my land 'technically', I can no longer deny access across it.

Surprisingly, I even had a cottager from Mississauga Lake come in thinking he could just walk around my property at will.

One incident in April was particularly disturbing. I met a car (with Canoe) coming in the road. He looked confused so I asked him where he
was going. When he said canoeing on Anstruther I explained there was no public access to the lake from this road. He then produced a hand
sketched map clearly showing our road as the west access point to Anstruther that he told me an employee at a local MNR office (I'm not
sure which one but he was from Kinmount)  had drawn for him. He was very understanding and instead launched at the gravel pit on Anderson Lake to portage from there.

The intrusions are increasing and I am in full support of any effort to stop the general public from abusing private property and increasing the wear and tear on roads that we built and maintain. The signage that KHRASS has proposed for the Second Bridge on the Beaver Lake Road should be helpful for myself and others along the extension to Anstruther Lake.

Regards;
Doug. Reid
dreid@bcsaw.com



June 30 mail out received from CCA. Sticker on back 'late breaking news Bill 100 receives royal assent,.." true .."KHSS will be an operating managed Provincial Park"   .. not  true -  not yet.

The Chris and Ernie show.
The July1st 03 weekend "parking lot" at the "Beaver /Bottle lake portage". This does not include the Bottle lakeside "parking lot'.
I count 18 and there are numerous others that can't be seen. There's only 17 camp sites  - remember!!
On Sat. morning drive in , were stopped by 3 cars, looking for 'Park" - all had new edition of Perlies showing old incorrect map - None had boats. One was looking for the "wash house". They were not happy campers. Told them to write their MPP's.  - - ed.




July 3 03
Mailing received from CCA. -  Slate of Executive candidates for next 2 years called for , to be submitted by July 15, annual general meeting set for Aug 10 03. By laws to be amended to remove ref to Hunt club beach.

06/18/2003
Subject:  Bill 100 Press Release
To  All Members:

Further to the introduction of Bill 100 (Kawartha Highlands Signature Site Park Act), the Charter and the Management Advisory Board we are sending out
the attached press release to the local media.

Rick Meridew      Len Bourne


additionally on this date (June 18) we received an email from Wendy s Lyttle re the above and we have added a new page to detail information on Bill 100


June 11 "vote shifting" and how to control the future.
There are two levels of government that impact on our cottage  lives Municipal and Provincial.
Municipally
It is the local council who deal with education, roads, local taxes i.e. your property tax bill , garbage etc. We all know and deal with that. The reeve is Tom Flynn and the new municipal building is on Hwy. 36 between Nogies creek and the  Xeon gas bar about 5 km east of the "BOB' on the south side. Just past the Mill Line road.
Most of 'us cottagers' don't vote. We can, and we have collectively bussed to the polling stations in the past when it was felt that council was not responding to  the cottagers wishes. After all cottagers provide 90-95% of the tax revenue.
We all know we have a good council  (in GCH) and most voters,  being somewhat lazy generally prefer to leave things alone and allow the local population to run things. NK may be otherwise!!
Provincially
We can only vote once. This is unlike what we can do municipally were we can vote wherever we pay a municipal tax bill.
MPP's in cottage country do not pay attention to the cottager because we do not vote for them.
Perhaps the time has come to change the way we do business. After all the cottage is the major financial asset, for most of us, and in many cases is the "family home". It has worth beyond the assessed value.
We can vote in the riding of Haliburton--Victoria--Brock in the upcoming election. Here's how
I suggest that we all split our provincial voting power. This is done by leaving your spouse to vote at your 'city home' and declaring yourself to have the cottage as 'principal residence'. This enables you to register as a voter in the HVB riding.
How to do.
You can call  Elections Ontario and check but here is what Betty will tell you.
1) Wait till the election is called.
2) When it is, - the address, phone no., and name, of the returning officer will be advertised.
3) Go there with personal ID. and a copy on your Municipal tax receipt.
and get registered.
Other ID is possible and is listed on the web site.
Here  is the Elections Ontario web site    their phone number is 1 800 677 8683 and again the gal to talk to is Betty . If you are on the site go to the  "have a question' section on the left hand side.
Most of the time you will be told that you can't do this because clerks assume you are trying to vote in two places so  insist,  and explain yourself.
Then
Make sure the local candidates know who you are and what your issues are AND  that you vote.

The Conservative candidate is Laurie Scott(web site). I suggest that she is stuck with Chris Hodgson and whatever he delivers, if anything.
NDP is Earl Manners  - I guess he is run by the ecologists and other such tree huggers in La La land.
The Liberal candidate is Jason Ward and he has a web site. He appears to be the only candidate with any room to move. We know he has refused to align with LSC's Tanner and company.
If we get anything the future will all come down to the appointees to the 'park' governing Board . The next government and local MPP will have SAY on who they are.
Formore on this and  election predictions see " The election prediction project"



June 10
No news to publish - no legislation to date - working on funding - 1 more week to wait. Sure looks like funding is a problem - as it was before and why we got bill 239???   Still lots of talk about roads. Time to start thinking about moving at least half the household provincial vote into the cottage riding  - that is Haliburton--Victoria--Brock. Not many MPP's or MPP hopefuls who can afford to ignore some 2000 votes, especially if they can each influence 1 more vote!! More on this vote shifting to come.


From Peter Chown of the SGKH:
May 14, 2003 posted June 10

This week I had a long talk with George Drum who has owned a water access cottage in Algonquin Park for 15 years which he bought from some Americans who had owned it for some 40 years. Last year he was stopped by a park staff and asked for his park permit for fishing - he said that he owned 300 feet of shoreline on the lake and he wasn't buying any pass to fish on his lake.

He later received a letter from John Swick the park supervisor for the South region [a copy is coming from Rob Pineo or George] stating: he is only entitled to a travel authorization card which allows him to drive from the park gate to the water access parking lot and to travel by boat to his property - in this case his boat is classed as a vehicle. His guests must buy a park pass to visit - to date this is the only possible free use thing the charter speaks to but the park sup(erintendent) can decide how many and how it would be administered.

The letter indicates he must have a permit to fish, canoe, boat, use trails, camp. He did receive a call indicating that this might not apply to him but when he asked for something in writing the person who called him was on a leave and Jim Murphy, Park planner, called him and said it did apply to him.  He was told that a one day fishing permit would be 9.50 and a season permit would be 65.00.

Welcome to the Park - First you get screwed by a Park designation, then you have to pay for all the things that were free, and then you're stuck with picking up the local management as you stand by and watch it being over used and abused."

Peter (Chown)
       Box 219  Telephone: 613-637-2780
       Whitney, Ontario
       K0J 2M0
 
 

Below is a direct copy of the letter sent to Mr. Drum. It was on Ontario Parks letterhead.We have it on file.

July 22, 2002

Mr. George Drum
663 George St. North,
Peterborough, Ontario
K9H 3S7
 

George:

As a patent landowner within Algonquin Park it is understood that you require access to your property. Landowners that have direct vehicle access to their property, (can drive to and park on property) have no dependence on Park facilities and therefore do not require park permits.

In your situation, where the user does not have open road access to their property and leave their vehicle parked at an access point parking area, a Travel Authorization Card will be issued (free of charge) annually. Travel Authorization cards are available by writing or faxing the Park office at Whitney, East Gate at least a week in advance of when the authorization is required. This permit is issued to the patent land owner only and must be displayed on the dash of the vehicle at all times when in the park.

HOWEVER, should the patent land owner want to use the lake (i.e.: canoe, boat, fish) or facilities associated with their property (i.e.: trails, campsites etc.) or any other park facility, they must have a valid vehicle permit in their possession while on the lake or while using park facilities, off their properties. These permits can be purchased at Pine Grove Point Lodge or any of our permit issuer locations.

Guests/visitors of patent landowners are required to purchase appropriate Park permits and must be displayed on the dash of their vehicle.

I would remind you that if you or your guests wish to use any of the Park facilities/resources the appropriate park permits would be required. You should also be aware that garbage facilities at the Kingscote access are for park users and are not for patent landowner use.

Your continued cooperation in these matters is greatly appreciated.

Yours truly,

John Swick,
Operations South Supervisor
Algonquin Provincial Park
 



Mar 29
Who will sit on the 'Advisory Board' for the park?
What deals were make? Who knew what and when?
Did we all go through this most intense political battle only to have it corrupted by returning to us the original fractious fatuous fops?


Mar 27
Re Last nights SHKH meeting.
We received a copy of the charter and had to sign a secrecy agreement to not disclose it's contents.  MNR representatives were Eric Boison  and Barton Fielders (my spelling??) who explained the document clause by clause. They discussed the background of the contentious issues and the rational for the results. They took questions throughout the process. Their demeanor and delivery was candid, straight forward , to the point and  appreciated.   They departed about 9:30 and the meeting debated the issues.
There were 3 motions put forward. Accept the charter, reject the charter or go back to the individual membership.
The charter was accepted with 5  'requested' changes. Most of the debate centered around the issue of cottage access roads and it was this issue that divided the vote.
Comment from this editor.
There is no guarantee that CH will take this charter forward or that the EE government will accept it.
Having done so there is no guarantee of funding for management which is what makes it all palatable.
Clearly CH is stepping to the tune from the Partnership for Public Lands  - read Ecologists  and the political 'Left'  - who are driving the "Park" and the "no roads" agenda.
Access roads for the remaining who have not got one  is a 'property rights' issue and a political 'Right' rallying cry. It is also just plain fair. It  makes sound ecological sense given the existing lake-access cottagers deliver some 8,000 times the pollution of a similar number using road access.
If CH goes left he alienates a big block of the voters in his old?? riding and saddles the EE campaign with spending commitments. If he goes right everyone (political) has a field day. If he stands still , then why was he there in the first place, 'cause Bill 239 was middle ground anyway.
Should be fun to watch  and .. Chris.. keep that single flipper flapping or should I say flipfloppin.


From: Rick Meridew <rick@worldconnect.com>
To all SGKH Members
May 21, 2003

URGENT KHSS UPDATE

Meeting Monday May 26th, 7:00PM, GC & H Council Chambers
 

As you know the SGKH was invited by MPP Chris Hodgson to undertake negotiations with the MNR on the designation and management of the KHSS.
Three other groups also conducted separate negotiations; the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters, the Partnership for Public Lands and the Local Stakeholder Committee. The goal of the negotiations was to reach a consensus on a Charter that would lead to special legislation to protect the KHSS.

At yesterday's meeting we requested and it was agreed that an MNR representative would come to a special SGKH meeting to present the draft
Charter and to seek the SGKH endorsement.

The team negotiating on behalf of the SGKH have been up front that the final proposal would have to go back to the membership for approval. Since the SGKH is an umbrella group we feel that many of the SGKH representatives will then have to go back to their local groups.

Unfortunately the timing for this meeting is very short due to political pressure on Chris to report back to Ernie Eves. In fact Chris was hoping we would be able to meet this week.

Tom Flynn has offered the use of the Galway Cavendish & Harvey Council Chambers for Monday May 26th at 7:00 PM.

We suggest that the meeting start promptly at 7:00 PM and that the negotiating team provide a brief report on the progress of the last few weeks. We would invite the MNR to attend at 7:30 and guide us through the Charter. After the MNR presentation we would continue our meeting to decide on a response.

Please reply to Rick and let us know if you are able to attend.

Cheers,

Rick Meridew
Len Bourne
Co-Chairs



May 12 '03
NORKLA and LLCA among others question FOCA. We have not yet received a complete reply as to the official position.
We receive the powerpoint presentation that Phil Basciano of the LSC and GPA ECD  used in his presentation to the April 7 meeting in Peterbourgh. It is so short we suspect we did not get tthe whole thing but check it out if you believe that  a "Park" is or ought to be. -- ' an untouched, undeveloped, wilderness, guarded by wardens to eliminate vehicles (read people), with no facilities, limited access, that the public is not told about.


April 30
Foca replies we set up a new page to deal with the issue.
We have repeated our April 7 request to Phil Basciano of the LSC to provide a copy of his power point presentation from the GPA ECD tourism office re the KHSS development and the Millions of visitors coming to the park.


Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 13:06:40 -0400
From: Barb-FOCA <barb@foca.on.ca>
Subject: RE: Reply
 

I am contacting the volunteer director who was asked to respond to your
letter. I will confirm my findings next week.

FOCA
156 Duncan Mill Road, Suite 18
Toronto, Ontario M3B 3N2
Tel: 416-429-0444 Fax: 416-429-4944
info@foca.on.ca     www.foca.on.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Battye [mailto:pbattye@eprintit.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2003 11:39 AM
To: Barb-FOCA
Subject: Reply

Barb,
I still did not receive a reply to my e-mail. I believe your entire
executive should be informed of this and provide me with a response. We
would then publish your response to ALL the affected cottage
associations in the area... some 20 in total.
Thank you
Peter Battye

This string was in response to our request for clarification as to the FOCA position on KHSS after WSL stated they were on side.. I think maybe not!!??
 


Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:39:41 -0400
Subject: Update - Meeting with MNR
 

To All SGKH Members

We had a meeting Tuesday with representatives from the MNR with regard to the new legislation being developed for the KHSS.

In attendance representing the SGKH were:

Len Bourne
Peter Chown
Doug Driscoll
Kim Dunford
Tom Flynn
Don LaCombe
Rick Meridew
Al Ross

At this time the MNR has been developing a "Charter" which includes suggested points of legislation and an explanation of the goals of each of the points.

The MNR intends that the legislation would dovetail with but  supersede the Parks Act. There are four groups working with the MNR; the SGKH, OFAH,
Partnership for Public Lands and the LSC. The hope is to reach a consensus among the four groups and the MNR.

On the table are all of the issues near and dear to our hearts including property rights, tenure, access rights, continuation of traditional activities, trails, buffer zones, the continuation of cottage roads and of course environmental protection. Our goal (the SGKH) is to get appropriate protections on these issues into the new legislation.

While we seem to be making good progress we have been asked not to comment on the specifics of the Charter as it is still a draft. That said we have been very forthright in explaining that we need to be able to report specifics to our membership as soon as possible. We are also discussing the possibility of having someone from the MNR come to an upcoming SGKH meeting to explain the Charter. This could happen within two weeks so a meeting may be called on short notice.

It has taken a long time to be heard. Bill 239 showed that we had achieved some recognition of the rights of local stakeholders. The fact that the SGKH is at the table during these sessions is very encouraging.

Sincerely,

Rick Meridew
Len Bourne





Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 09:37:56 -0500
From: Rick Meridew <rick@worldconnect.com>
Subject: KHSS Update - Final

UPDATE To All SGKH Members

1. Meeting with Chris Hodgson

Our delegation met with Chris Hodgson, Gail Beggs, Assistant Deputy Manager (MNR, Field Services Division), Eric Boysen, (Executive Assistant  to Gail Beggs) and Mike Lowe (Office of the Premier) for about two hours on Thursday April 13th with regard to potential directions for the KHSS now that Bill 239 has been prorogued.
We made a strong presentation in support of Bill 239 and our specific  concerns regarding a park designation. These concerns were based on the documents we submitted to the EBR and covered private property rights, traditional activities and environmental protection.
Following our presentation Mr. Hodgson presented us with the government's current position. In brief the governments position is that environmental protection and sustainable funding can best be achieved through the Parks Act BUT that new legislation should be developed that would SUPERCEDE the Parks Act to enshrine private property rights and the continuation of traditional activities.
Mr. Hodgson invited members from our delegation to assist in developing the new legislation. He also indicated that a management model (with local representation) would be developed simultaneously.
Our only other option was to walk away and leave the process with the risk that our opinions would not be properly represented. We felt that this was unacceptable.
We have agreed to meet with the MNR again to provide input on behalf of our members as the new legislation is developed.
We will also request that the proposed legislation would then be presented to a SGKH meeting by the MNR (as was done with Bill 239).
Mr. Hodgson indicated that this entire process would take place within the  next few weeks.

We felt that it was our best strategy to be at the table with the MNR  during this process and then provide an opportunity for our members to accept or reject the finished legislation.

Please prepare a list of specific points that you would like to see included in the new legislation so that we can present them to the MNR. Those of us who will be attending the meeting will also prepare a list to be shared with the membership. Send your list to Rick via email or give it to him on Monday in Peterborough.

Rick Meridew
Tom Flynn
Peter Chown
Kim Dunford
Doug Driscoll
Rob Pineo

2. Meeting In Peterborough April 7th

We plan to meet informally Monday at the Carousel Restaurant (Lansdowne  Street East) at 5:00 -5:30 PM and then go on to the meeting at the Public
Library being hosted by Sissy Tanner.

Please attend if you can.

Rick Meridew
Co-Chair



Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:59:58 -0500
From: Rick Meridew <rick@worldconnect.com>
Subject: KHSS Update
To all SGKH Members

KHSS Update

Two important events are on the horizon and we wanted to let the membership know about them in time to provide feedback.
A meeting with Chris Hodgson is scheduled for Thursday April 3rd and Sissy Tanner is hosting a public meeting on Monday April 7th.
At the meeting with Chris Hodgson we intend to present out position as stated up to this point (Management Plan, Vision Statement, Heritage Protection LUD) including our support of Bill 239. We will discuss property rights, conservation and traditional uses. Rick Meridew, Len Bourne, Peter Chown, Tom Flynn and Kim Dunford and Doug Driscoll will attend the meeting.
Given that the local press has reported that Sissy is happy with her meeting with Chris we should assume that we may not like what we hear. We should also be prepared to have a full SGKH meeting soon after the meeting with Chris.
If anyone has anything specific they would like expressed at the meeting please let Rick or Len know as soon as possible.
Anyone who can attend the April 7th meeting hosted by Sissy Tanner at the Peterborough Library should plan to attend. Since a number of us will be coming from out of town we may try to meet at a restaurant prior to the meeting. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to meet?
It is very important that we have as many signatures on the petition as possible prior to meeting with Chris. If your members haven't signed please be sure they do. We currently have 930 signatures.

Rick Meridew & Len Bourne
Co-Chairs
The meeting on April 7 is Sissy Tanner's propark group, Friends of the Kawartha Highlands I think. Anyway their website is www.kawarthahighlandspark.caon, then you have to pay for all the things that were free, and then you're stuck with picking up the local management as you stand by and watch it being over used and abused." <p>Peter (Chown) <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Box 219&nbsp; Telephone: 613-637-2780 <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Whitney, Ontario <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; K0J 2M0 <br>&nbsp; <br>&nbsp; <p><font color="#7F0501">Below is a direct copy of the letter sent to Mr. Drum. It was on Ontario Parks letterhead.We have it on file.</font> <p>July 22, 2002 <p>Mr. George Drum <br>663 George St. North, <br>Peterborough, Ontario <br>K9H 3S7 <br>&nbsp; <p>George: <p>As a patent landowner within Algonquin Park it is understood that you require access to your property. Landowners that have direct vehicle access to their property, (can drive to and park on property) have no dependence on Park facilities and therefore do not require park permits. <p>In your situation, where the user does not have open road access to their property and leave their vehicle parked at an access point parking area, a Travel Authorization Card will be issued (free of charge) annually. Travel Authorization cards are available by writing or faxing the Park office at Whitney, East Gate at least a week in advance of when the authorization is required. This permit is issued to the patent land owner only and must be displayed on the dash of the vehicle at all times when in the park. <p>HOWEVER, should the patent land owner want to use the lake (i.e.: canoe, boat, fish) or facilities associated with their property (i.e.: trails, campsites etc.) or any other park facility, they must have a valid vehicle permit in their possession while on the lake or while using park facilities, off their properties. These permits can be purchased at Pine Grove Point Lodge or any of our permit issuer locations. <p>Guests/visitors of patent landowners are required to purchase appropriate Park permits and must be displayed on the dash of their vehicle. <p>I would remind you that if you or your guests wish to use any of the Park facilities/resources the appropriate park permits would be required. You should also be aware that garbage facilities at the Kingscote access are for park users and are not for patent landowner use. <p>Your continued cooperation in these matters is greatly appreciated. <p>Yours truly, <p>John Swick, <br>Operations South Supervisor <br>Algonquin Provincial Park <br>&nbsp; <p> <hr WIDTH="100%"> <br>Mar 29 <br><font color="#850301">Who will sit on the 'Advisory Board' for the park?</font> <br><font color="#850301">What deals were make? Who knew what and when?</font> <br><font color="#850301">Did we all go through this most intense political battle only to have it corrupted by returning to us the original fractious fatuous fops?</font> <br> <hr WIDTH="100%"> <br>Mar 27 <br>Re Last nights SHKH meeting. <br><font color="#910409">We received a copy of the charter and had to sign a secrecy agreement to not disclose it's contents.&nbsp; MNR representatives were Eric Boison&nbsp; and Barton Fielders (my spelling??) who explained the document clause by clause. They discussed the background of the contentious issues and the rational for the results. They took questions throughout the process. Their demeanor and delivery was candid, straight forward , to the point and&nbsp; appreciated.&nbsp;&nbsp; They departed about 9:30 and the meeting debated the issues.</font> <br><font color="#910409">There were 3 motions put forward. Accept the charter, reject the charter or go back to the indiCãòs.


Mar 31

 "I have just read the article in the newspaper about the meeting Chris Hodgson had with LSC and OFAH this past week."
o their property, (can drive to and park on property) have no dependence on Park facilities and therefore do not require park permits. <p>In your situation, where the user does not have open road access to their property and leave their vehicle parked at an access point parking area, a Travel Authorization Card will be issued (free of charge) annually. Travel Authorization cards are available by writing or faxing the Park office at Whitney, East Gate at least a week in advance of when the authorization is required. This permit is issued to the patent land owner only and must be displayed on the dash of the vehicle at all times when in the park. <p>HOWEVER, should the patent land owner want to use the lake (i.e.: canoe, boat, fish) or facilities associated with their property (i.e.: trails, campsites etc.) or any other park facility, they must have a valid vehicle permit in their possession while on the lake or while using park facilities, off their properties. These permits can be purchased at Pine Grove Point Lodge or any of our permit issuer locations. <p>Guests/visitors of patent landowners are required to purchase appropriate Park permits and must be displayed on the dash of their vehicle. <p>I would remind you that if you or your guests wish to use any of the Park facilities/resources the appropriate park permits would be required. You should also be aware that garbage facilities at the Kingscote access are for park users and are not for patent landowner use. <p>Your continued cooperation in these matters is greatly appreciated. <p>Yours truly, <p>John Swick, <br>Operations South Supervisor <br>Algonquin Provincial Park <br>&nbsp; <p> <hr WIDTH="100%"> <br>Mar 29 <br><font color="#850301">Who will sit on the 'Advisory Board' for the park?</font> <br><font color="#850301">What deals were make? Who knew what and when?</font> <br><font color="#850301">Did we all go through this most intense political battle only to have it corrupted by returning to us the original fractious fatuous fops?</font> <br> <hr WIDTH="100%"> <br>Mar 27 <br>Re Last nights SHKH meeting. <br><font color="#910409">We received a copy of the charter and had to sign a secrecy agreement to not disclose it's contents.&nbsp; MNR representatives were Eric Boison&nbsp; and Barton Fielders (my spelling??) who explained the document clause by clause. They discussed the background of the contentious issues and the rational for the results. They took questions throughout the process. Their demeanor and delivery was candid, straight forward , to the point and&nbsp; appreciated.&nbsp;&nbsp; They departed about 9:30 and the meeting debated the issues.</font> <br><font color="#910409">There were 3 motions put forward. Accept the charter, reject the charter or go back to the indiCãò



mar 25 this sent
To: hodgson@quicklinks.on.ca

Rmust have a permit to fish, canoe, boat, use trails, camp. He did receive a call indicating that this might not apply to him but when he asked for something in writing the person who called him was on a leave and Jim Murphy, Park planner, called him and said it did apply to him.&nbsp; He was told that a one day fishing permit would be 9.50 and a season permit would be 65.00. <p>Welcome to the Park - First you get screwed by a Park designation, then you have to pay for all the things that were free, and then you're stuck with picking up the local management as you stand by and watch it being over used and abused." <p>Peter (Chown) <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Box 219&nbsp; Telephone: 613-637-2780 <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Whitney, Ontario <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; K0J 2M0 <br>&nbsp; <br>&nbsp; <p><font color="#7F0501">Below is a direct copy of the letter sent to Mr. Drum. It was on Ontario Parks letterhead.We have it on file.</font> <p>July 22, 2002 <p>Mr. George Drum <br>663 George St. North, <br>Peterborough, Ontario <br>K9H 3S7 <br>&nbsp; <p>George: <p>As a patent landowner within Algonquin Park it is understood that you require access to your property. Landowners that have direct vehicle access to their property, (can drive to and park on property) have no dependence on Park facilities and therefore do not require park permits. <p>In your situation, where the user does not have open road access to their property and leave their vehicle parked at an access point parking area, a Travel Authorization Card will be issued (free of charge) annually. Travel Authorization cards are available by writing or faxing the Park office at Whitney, East Gate at least a week in advance of when the authorization is required. This permit is issued to the patent land owner only and must be displayed on the dash of the vehicle at all times when in the park. <p>HOWEVER, should the patent land owner want to use the lake (i.e.: canoe, boat, fish) or facilities associated with their property (i.e.: trails, campsites etc.) or any other park facility, they must have a valid vehicle permit in their possession while on the lake or while using park facilities, off their properties. These permits can be purchased at Pine Grove Point Lodge or any of our permit issuer locations. <p>Guests/visitors of patent landowners are required to purchase appropriate Park permits and must be displayed on the dash of their vehicle. <p>I would remind you that if you or your guests wish to use any of the Park facilities/resources the appropriate park permits would be required. You should also be aware that garbage facilities at the Kingscote access are for park users and are not for patent landowner use. <p>Your continued cooperation in these matters is greatly appreciated. <p>Yours truly, <p>John Swick, <br>Operations South Supervisor <br>Algonquin Provincial Park <br>&nbsp; <p> <hr WIDTH="100%"> <br>Mar 29 <br><font color="#850301">Who will sit on the 'Advisory Board' for the park?</font> <br><font color="#850301">What deals were make? Who knew what and when?</font> <br><font color="#850301">Did we all go through this most intense political battle only to have it corrupted by returning to us the original fractious fatuous fops?</font> <br> <hr WIDTH="100%"> <br>Mar 27 <br>Re Last nights SHKH meeting. <br><font color="#910409">We received a copy of the charter and had to sign a secrecy agreement to not disclose it's contents.&nbsp; MNR representatives were Eric Boison&nbsp; and Barton Fielders (my spelling??) who explained the document clause by clause. They discussed the background of the contentious issues and the rational for the results. They took questions throughout the process. Their demeanor and delivery was candid, straight forward , to the point and&nbsp; appreciated.&nbsp;&nbsp; They departed about 9:30 and the meeting debated the issues.</font> <br><font color="#910409">There were 3 motions put forward. Accept the charter, reject the charter or go back to the indiCãò

As a property owner in the area and an information source for my neighbours could you please advise of any public meetings  that you undertake with regard to the KHSS.
If you should have a vision of where you wish to go with this site, we would be happy to receive a copy and post it for all to see

If we get a reply we will post it.